Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT) offers a minimally invasive treatment to get rid of varicose veins. When varicose veins begin forming, they may appear knotted underneath the surface of the skin. Having your varicose veins treated will minimize the likeliness of any developing skin ulcers while providing relief from aches and pain. There are various benefits to having the EVLT procedure over other treatment.
It is minimally invasive which in turns leaves little room for scarring. At Vein and Medical Care, we use duplex ultrasound to precisely locate the saphenous vein (the large, superficial vein of the leg and thigh). A tiny laser fiber is then inserted into the vein, directing laser energy at the vein wall, sealing the vein permanently. We perform EVLT using local anesthesia. The treatment involves minimal discomfort, and enables patients to resume their routine activities quickly.
What should I expect during the EVLT procedure?
- You will be fully conscious and comfortable on an examination table.
- An ultrasound will be performed on your leg so we can identify the vein that needs to be treated.
- Your leg will be cleaned with a disinfectant soap, and wrapped so it is kept sterile.
- We will administer the anesthesia.
- The laser catheter will be put in by way of a micro-incision using an ultrasound guiding tool.
- More local anesthesia may be administered until your leg is completely numbed.
- The laser catheter will be drawn back, sealing off the vein as it is removed.
- We will then cover the tiny incision since no stitches will be needed!